Gum Disease Treatment in West Hartford
At the practice of Edward Karl, DDS, we know how important your oral health is to you. When left untreated, gum disease can worsen over time and cause substantial complications. Our gentle and experienced team is here to diagnose, treat, and maintain your gums so you can enjoy a rejuvenated smile.
We always stay attentive to your needs and provide 24-hour emergency care to assist you as quickly as possible. Dr. Karl is an experienced periodontist who works with you to restore your dental well-being. If you or a loved one suffers from gum disease, contact our West Hartford office today so we can begin planning an effective treatment!
CALL US: (860) 519-1321 REQUEST APPOINTMENT
Why Choose a Periodontist?
As a periodontist, Dr. Karl is a dental specialist who is expertly equipped to address situations involving your gums and jaw. He has the specific training and dental tools to perform advanced procedures involving gum regeneration. Your dentist will often refer you to a specialist such as Dr. Karl to effectively and safely restore your gums.
Dr. Karl has worked with countless people to develop an effective plan to combat their gum disease. His experience allows him to address each unique case with skill and dedication. He carefully explains your options to you and treats you with the respect and dignity you deserve.
What is Gum Disease & Why is it Problematic?
Gum disease is an affliction that impacts the materials that support and surround your tooth. If left untreated, advanced gum disease can cause jawbone deterioration.
The earliest stage of gum disease is gingivitis, which causes inflammation of your gum tissue. On its own, gingivitis causes discomfort and can make your gums inflamed. If it goes untreated, gum disease can develop into moderate or severe periodontitis. This progression can lead to significant side effects, including increased tooth sensitivity, receding gums, and even tooth loss in time.
Gum disease is typically reversible in its earliest stage of gingivitis. Getting an early diagnosis and beginning treatment promptly is crucial to restoring your gums to health. Gum disease is not something that will get better without professional intervention, so it’s essential to seek treatment if you show any of the most frequent symptoms.
Common Signs & Symptoms of Gum Disease
Common symptoms of gum disease that you should look for include:
- Puffy, red, or swollen gums
- Bleeding when you brush or floss
- Persistent bad breath even after brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash
- Sudden pain in your teeth
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and beverages
- Loose teeth
- A receding gum line
- An abscess on your gums
Certain conditions may make you more likely to develop gum disease. Some of these conditions are family genetics, age, other medical conditions, smoking, and pregnancy hormones.
Our Compassionate Approach
Gum disease is something that many Americans struggle with at some point in their lives. Dr. Karl and his team are here to offer you kind, caring, and nonjudgmental dental care. Our goal is to renew your gum health with compassionate treatment methods and cutting-edge technology.
We work with you to help you understand your options for immediate treatment and the steps that will be necessary to keep your gums healthy moving forwards. You can come to us with any questions you have and know that your worries will be acknowledged and addressed. When you visit Edward Karl, DDS, your comfort is our top concern.
Our Gum Disease Treatment Process
After diagnosing gum disease, we will immediately begin planning how to address your unique situation. If your gum disease is found quickly, regular dental cleanings may suffice to restore your gums.
If symptoms have progressed, we offer multiple advanced treatments, including:
- Scaling and root planing is a special type of periodontal cleaning. First, we remove the bacteria and plaque along and beneath the gum line through scaling. We then smooth your teeth roots in a process called planing. This helps the gums create a secure hold and reduces the risk of a new infection. After the cleaning, we may recommend oral medications or specialized mouthwashes to help keep your gums clean as they heal.
- Tissue regeneration is a process used when gum disease has already caused jawbone loss. Unchecked jawbone deterioration can lead to tooth loss since your teeth will gradually have less structural support. By using guided tissue regeneration, we can supplement the jaw and renew its strength.
- Pocket reduction therapy (osseous surgery) will reduce the size of any pockets that have grown beneath the gum line due to damage to your jawbone and gum tissue.
- Gum grafting rebuilds your gum line to protect your teeth from receding gums.
After your initial treatment, we provide maintenance cleanings at Dr. Karl’s recommendation. These cleanings are scheduled for every three months on average to keep your gums healthy as they recover. The appointments also allow us to provide individualized instruction on how to take care of your gums effectively.
Restoring Healthy Gums in West Hartford
We want you to feel at ease approaching us with all your pressing dental concerns. Our friendly team at Edward Karl, DDS, is devoted to your health and preserving your smile. Call our office in West Hartford today to discuss how our gum disease treatments can assist you!
CALL US: (860) 519-1321 REQUEST APPOINTMENT